Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Homemade: Asian Chicken Salad

I try to make meals that are varied, healthy, simple, and affordable. I feel like that's most people's goals. So I recently discovered the awesomeness that is the bagged salads at most grocery stores.

My favorite bagged salads are the ones heavy in cabbage. This is because it takes a LOT longer for cabbage salads to wilt than softer leaves. Still, a salad isn't enough sustenance for anyone, especially not a 23 year old man who works out regularly. My husband needs meat.


So I took some frozen chicken breasts, thawed them, and seasoned them with salt and pepper. I heated a greased skillet and lay the meat seasoning-side-down so that it seared in the flavor. then I seasoned the other side. After flipping chicken and sealing in all the lovely juices from both sides, I added a dash of soy sauce, because the bagged salad I would be pairing this chicken with was an Asian salad with a sesame dressing.


I sliced the chicken into manageable, thin pieces, added it to the salad, and tossed it all with the dressing.



Just before I served, I added the crunchy noodles and almonds into the mix, and served simply in a bowl.


Sometimes it's the super simple stuff that's most satisfying. It certainly doesn't hurt that I only dirtied one skillet and one large bowl making this meal. I think it's worth appreciating that we live in a time when it is easier than ever to eat good, healthy food that has been crafted by experts and put into a medium where we can fix it fresh for ourselves without excessive effort. Where will we be in another 10 years? Buying quality beef wellington in a box with 2-step baking instructions? How exciting that our experiences of food can be so broad, even at home!

What's your favorite gourmet-from-home option available nowadays? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment: