Total Pageviews

Friday, September 23, 2016

FrankenFood Friday: Orange Creampop Crunch

This week for #FrankenFoodFriday I took a poll on Facebook to decide whether my review would be of the new Maple Bacon Poptarts or...


...And it was a tie. So I picked the one I thought I might actually finish! Because I wish you could see the graveyard in my pantry of unfinished FrankenFoods. It's really kinda sad.


So I opened the box and was immediately hit with the aroma of an orange "Creampop", which I suspect is a branding clash because I've only ever heard them called "Creamsicles"


I actually looked forward to ripping this product to shreds about the fact that Cap'n Crunch cereal historically and infamously rips up the roof of your mouth, and so does this, but alas! Somehow for some reason, that notorious flaw in Cap'n Crunch cereals was mysteriously cured when it was made into a FrankenFood!


I also expected the flavor of the cereal to be cloying and overwhelming with an artificial orange and artificial cream flavor. I was both pleased and a bit disappointed that really, it just tasted like slightly orangey corn cereal. I was expecting the bits to be filled with some kind of cream, or for there to be some kind of little "cream" marshmallows or something to make it taste like a creampop and emphasize the gimmick, but it I guess they decided that the milk one typically uses on cereal would serve the cream function.


Finally, I thought the leftover milk might be the big creampop flavor. It was... sweetish milk that kind of reminded you of artificial oranges... and milk.

Kind of an anticlimactic tasting, really, but I was genuinely surprised that the extra sugar or something somehow eliminated that one big negative every Cap'n Crunch lover endures, walking around with a rough, scratched-up hard palate after every indulgence.

Still, in terms of FrankenFood success, I expect I'll actually finish this box of cereal, unlike those Swedish Fish Oreos, so that's a big check in the "pros" column. And it does remind you of both inspiring elements, and even arguably enhances one. It's certainly no improvement on a creampop unless you've been searching for a creampop without all that pesky wetness and coldness, but I'd argue it could easily surpass original Cap'n Crunch for people who particularly enjoy orange flavored things.


No comments:

Post a Comment