Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Henry's Ice Cream: The Best Ever?

Check out their website                                                                        Locations


My husband has been really getting into helping me come up with new places to review, and one of the first places he mentioned was Henry's Ice Cream.


The first thing I noticed was the nostalgic, old fashioned feel of the place. I felt like I had just walked into like Pop's from Archie comics or something, an unadulterated chunk of timeless innocence. But sentimental prose aside, this place was AUTHENTIC and beautifully unpretentious.




The second thing I noticed, as it was impossible to ignore, was that the line wrapped around the room and every table was full. It was an exceptionally hot evening, and the air conditioning was struggling to keep up with the shoulder to shoulder body heat of the patrons and the nonstop opening of the doors as more people streamed in, but that didn't deter anyone from waiting in the long line for their icy treats.


Whether it was intended to provide a pass-time for people in line or just a reflection of the owner's sense of humor, I found myself chuckling at the various signs around the place. I'd never thought about an ice cream cone being a completely eco-friendly vessel.



The flavors of the day were listed on a handwritten menu sign, and I was intrigued by the "Dino Egg" flavor, wondering why it was specifically "Dino Egg" and not just "Dino". Are dinosaur eggs known to be bright blue?





 I nearly ordered that flavor just to find out, but then I got a taste of the Vanilla/Chocolate Sprinkle Cake and couldn't resist it. 


Little side note, even their tasting spoons are eco-friendly!



I regret to say I noticed the pretzel cone after I had placed my order, but now you and I are both prepared for that option next time we're there, so the speed of the line won't deprive us of such a unique, salty confectionary twist.



I felt I would be depriving you of a truly extensive review if I didn't try at least two flavors, so I took one for the team and got a double scoop with the "Henry & Caroline's Wedding Cake". It may have been two flavors, but it looked like 3 scoops to me:



My husband was going to try a third flavor, but he, too, succumbed to the Vanilla/Chocolate Sprinkle Cake's siren call. Something about those rainbow jimmies is just totally irresistible!




What it all comes down to, though, is the ice cream. This is one of those moments where my positive impression of the product exceeds my vocabulary. This ice cream was perfectly balanced, with a permeating flavor of fresh heavy cream and a subtle sweetness that didn't overpower my palate. The creaminess was so authentic and fresh it left a slight layer of pleasant butteriness coating my mouth for a minute or so after I finished it. My exact words when giving my first impressions to my husband were "like it was taken directly from the udder of an Arctic Cow 5 minutes ago", which is gross but vividly embdies the freshness of the flavor. The cones tasted freshly made, and the smell throughout the shop confirmed my suspicions. Keep in mind that fresh, in-house-made ice cream cones often leak out the bottom, so pay attention to the bottom of your cone so you don't lose a single drop of Henry's excellence. 

I hope my overall foodiness, sugar addiction, and credentials as a Four Seasoned Pastry Chef sufficiently amplify the significance of the following statement when I say:

This is the best ice cream I have ever eaten, PERIOD. And ice cream is my favorite dessert. It is even better than the best ice cream I have ever made, and I am sinfully prideful about my own ice cream recipe.

YOU MUST TRY THEM! The quality and standards at Henry's Ice Cream is singular.

And bonus, if you need something more savory, Henry's sells super affordable and high quality hot dogs from local deli/butcher Hirsch's Specialty Meats, who I look forward to reviewing sometime in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment