Total Pageviews

Friday, September 2, 2016

FrankenFood Friday: Swedish Fish Oreos

I got a request from a reader to review the limited time Swedish Fish flavored Oreos, so duty called and I answered!


The first thing I noticed upon opening the package was the distinct scent of Swedish Fish. I was surprised how accurately the Oreo mad scientists managed to replicate the olfactory experience of opening a package of Swedish Fish candy, but then, the odd-flavored Oreos have always been uncanny in their accuracy, the question is always whether the flavor should be turned into frosting.


I also had my husband taste-test these because he is actually a HUGE fan of Swedish Fish, whereas I can take them or leave them. 


The verdict? Well my husband didn't even finish his first cookie. I think it weirded him out. The flavor of the frosting was spot. on. but Swedish Fish is definitely one of those things that associates a flavor with a texture, and when you move it like this to a different medium, it's kind of off-putting. Interestingly, as someone with an indifference to the original candy, I didn't mind the cookies. They're yet again an interesting thing to try but not an improvement on either contributing element. Moreover, I realized through tasting the frosting on its own what exactly the Swedish Fish flavor is. I had always figured it was some weird play on artificial cherry because of the color, but somehow the new texture made me recognize that it's more of a combination of bubblegum and artificial banana flavoring. Amazing how my taste buds can be so easily be stumped by the color of the candy!

Anyway, if you LOVE Swedish Fish, I think this is worth trying- but don't buy out the store- this is one of those bucket list experiences you only need to try once.

And by the way, I had trouble finding these in the 5 stores I checked for them, so I finally ordered them online for $10! I love writing this blog and I will continue to review all the new places and items I try, and if you have suggestions I encourage you to let me know in the comments or tweet me @writingchef, but if you would like to see more variety, more wacky and potentially regrettable items, or a wider range of restaurants featured here, consider donating to this blog with the new PayPal button to the right! I'll only use the proceeds to improve the breadth and quality of the reviews on this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Weird, I'd always assumed the flavor was lingonberry or one of those other unamerican berries.

    ReplyDelete