Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Wild About Harry's

Check out their Website                                                                           Locations

Wild About Harry's is an uptown Dallas institution. I ate there for the first time after my sister moved to Knox St about 7 years ago, & it's been a part of my personal geography of the best of Dallas ever since.


The friendly giant hot dog and bright colors force you to leave your serious work and worries outside and just take a moment for a great hot dog and some custard.



This restaurant has endeared itself further to me recently, though, and I am excited to share this little bonus story before I give a brief review of Harry's excellent fare.

My husband and I were walking along Knox St and we met a young homeless man there who asked us for something to eat. We bought him some lunch and sat down to eat with him, & after telling us his story, he mentioned that he has always been drawn to Knox St. because "Mr. Harry" of Wild About Harry's was always kind and generous to him, making sure he had something to eat, and talking to him about his life. He said that even after Mr. Harry died, his employees had continued to show him kindness. 



That elevated Harry's even higher in my book, and I find myself proud to patronize and promote this ethical and top quality franchise that started here in Dallas.

I went this time with my husband and best schoolmate, and I ordered the Texas with sauerkraut instead of onions and a side of relish, (famous at Harry's due to its vibrant color). My friend ordered the Knox Street without kraut, and my Husband ordered the Chicago. 



My dog was excellent, and even with the abundance of toppings including sloppy chili, I was able to eat it with my hands, as God intended, without making a total mess. The top quality hot dog and poppyseed bun elevate the sandwich (yes, sandwich- ask Alton Brown) and answer the question, "can you really improve on a hot dog?" with an abrupt slap to the face.



The onion rings were a thing of beauty, piping hot and perfectly breaded, achieving a practiced thickness that highlights the onion flavor while keeping the vegetable firmly in its place.



My friend recently moved to Dallas, and had not experienced the awesomeness of Wild About Harry's before, and she thoroughly approved.



In fact, she liked it so much she was texting me about it several days later:



Harry's also features one of my favorite things, local sodas:


My regular readers have probably picked up on my enthusiasm for unique beverages and local sodas, but you may wonder why I am so particularly excitable about this. I don't drink alcohol, and I've always been a bit jealous of the regional versions and varieties of beer and wine, not to mention the fun local element of microbreweries. So whenever I see opportunity for us dry foodies to partake in the culture of specialty beverages, I get really excited.





Finally, I mustn't forget the custard. My friend got the chocolate custard with bits of waffle cone, and I got the chocolate custard sundae with chopped peanut butter cup and rainbow sprinkles. It is excellent quality custard, and a perfect match for a hearty hot dog.



So go! Check them out! Support this local, ethical, top quality, no nonsense (ok some nonsense, but only the best kind) restaurant and spend your money there! You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful article for folks who work hard for excellence

    ReplyDelete