Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Not-So-Seasonal Cravings

I got married in October, & in my first week of marriage I learned a vital fact about my new husband.

He. LOVES. Pumpkin.



He loves everything pumpkin; pumpkin lattes, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin bread... He's a pumpkin eating fiend.

In expressing his enthusiasm for gourd-based confections, he bemoaned the fact that people get tired of pumpkin because it's seasonal, so they feel like they have to eat everything pumpkin-related during the limited time it's made available, and then in the spring, when they're not pumpkin'd out, there's none to be found. 

So I, being a brand new bride, I started a new tradition of purchasing a few extra boxes of pumpkin bread mix at the end of each fall season, when they go on clearance, and hiding them.


I find that my apartment is small enough I usually don't remember them again until several months have passed, and by then it's about time to treat my husband to a surprise pumpkin treat in the middle of April, and then again in June or July.


This is the second year I've gotten to do this, and it's really fun. My aunt used to do it with the Cadbury candy-coated mini eggs, before they expanded the availability from Easter-only to Christmas, too. My mom does something similar with her favorite Braum's sherbet flavor (Cherry Limeade), stocking up at the end of the summer. Unlike most people, my mom is famous for making her sweets last longer than anyone I've ever heard of.

What are your favorite limited-time, season-specific foods? Are you going to stock up on extras this year for a special treat 6 months later? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment