Total Pageviews

Monday, June 20, 2016

Big Tony's West Philly Cheesesteaks



Check out Big Tony's website here!                                                                       Map Here

It's only appropriate that I should start this new writing venture with a review of Big Tony's West Philly Cheesesteaks, because it's one of those perfect accidents that I ever found it at all. I was looking for a halfway point to meet up with a friend and literally just googled both addresses and looked for any food between the two points. Big Tony's location in Dallas is nestled into an easy-to-miss, unassuming strip shopping center next to a smoothie shop and a Half Price Books. Its proximity to a bookstore alone gives this restaurant one of its stars, but Big Tony's turned out to be an unexpected treasure.

Since that first chance visit I have returned at least 5 times, 4 of which I was insistently dragging along someone who had never been before. 
Big Tony himself has served me each time I've been there, so it seems he works primarily at the Dallas location. He is from West Philly, and the food, the atmosphere, and Tony himself are so authentic, he actually teased my husband for ordering his sandwich with pastrami instead of the recommended beef on our first visit. You know your food is going to be good when the chef is confident enough to call out your not-Philly-authentic order! Now let's get down to the food.

Big Tony in his element.

I've made an effort to order something slightly different each time i visit, and I must say, it takes an exceptional cook to make a sandwich that predominantly features onions and have me not pick at least a few of them off. Big Tony has perfected truly slicing his onions thin enough and cooking them at a hot enough temperature on his flat-top that they become little gelatinous bursts of flavor- as God intended them. You see, it's not that I don't like onions, it's just that so few people cook them right. At Big Tony's I've learned that the trick to a real West Philly Cheesesteak is that it's more a solution than a mix. Most sandwiches are a mixture of individual flavors. At Big Tony's, the meat appears to be shaved thin and then cooked, so that it fills the bun in curly, savory ribbons. This allows the onions and cheese, and anything else you choose to add, to mingle perfectly into even the smallest bites. 

Now for this Texas girl, the one slightly less authentic ingredient I recommend you add to your sandwich is the jalapenos- we are in Dallas, after all. They chop them small enough that again, there isn't so much a distinct texture as a mild pop of heat in every bite.


There are more things worth noting about Big Tony's West Philly Cheesesteaks. First, the fries.


Big Tony's offers sweet potato, regular, spicy, "toothpicks", cheese fries, philly cheesesteak fries, and most noteably, "buffalo" fries, which are thick discs of potato that are fried to crunchy on the outside, piping hot and slightly soft on the inside, seasoned with some excellent combination of spices reminiscent of Lawry's Seasoned Salt. These are particularly excellent when dipped in Tony's special sauce, which is offered from a fridge full of a wide array of condiments ranging from ranch dressing to teriyaki sauce. Tony's sauce is zippy, with a mild heat. It's similar to a classic buffalo sauce, but more vinegary, and works great with the heavy meat and cheese of the sandwiches. Even so, I am the type of person who likes to try every sauce made available to me, and after 5 visits, I find that the sandwich on its own is completely satisfying without any sauce at all.

Most surprising was when I learned that Tony makes his own Italian ices. They have a super sweet, fresh fruit flavor, and the one I had the pleasure of trying on my last visit was strawberry. As far as what flavor to expect, it seems that weighs heavily on Tony's whim, but that kind of gamble is a fun lottery. This sweet frozen treat is an excellent way to end a casual, hearty meal of cheesy, meaty, savory deliciousness.

All in all, I highly recommend Big Tony's West Philly Cheesesteaks. Go check it out and let me know about your experience in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment